I need some assistance with a research report.
Once upon a time, there were presidential campaigns without social media or even cable television. In fact, in 1960, it was considered groundbreaking to broadcast the Nixon/Kennedy presidential debates on network television. In 2012, however, the Obama/Romney debates were broadcasted, analyzed and critiqued by news networks and social media. For this Project, you will research the history and development of mass media and write a report that tracks its use in presidential elections since 1960.
You are a media consultant who has been hired by a startup social media company. The company wants you to write a formal research report that answers the question “How have changes in mass media influenced the ways people experience presidential campaigns?” In your report:
- describe major milestones in the history of mass media between 1960 and today
- compare and contrast the use of mass (and, as appropriate, social) media in the following presidential campaigns:
- 1960: The Nixon/Kennedy Campaign
- 2012: The Obama/Romney Campaign
- identify how social media differs from mass media
- argue how changes in media have impacted the ways people experience political campaigns
links: (Brief history of social media) http://web.archive.org/web/20131217064751/http://www.uncp.edu/home/acurtis/NewMedia/SocialMedia/SocialMediaHistory.html
History of Media: http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/mediahistory.html
Nixon / Kennedy debate: vhttps://www.history.com/topics/uspresidents/kennedy-nixon-debates
How the debate changed the world: http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2021078,00.html
The great divide: https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/DAED_a_00175